vintage and contemporary postcards and stamps from around the world


24 April 2016

Sunday Stamps II - 71

2013, 68p Jersey, Damsels and Dragons
illustrator: Lizzie Harper

A series of six stamps to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the British Dragonfly Society were painted by Lizzie Harper, a natural history illustrator. This one shows the Large Red Damselfly which is one of the earliest insects to appear in the spring. It can grow up to 36mm and can generally be found near slow moving water, ponds, and bogs.

for invertebrates

5 comments:

Bob Scotney said...

Glad to see this lovely stamp as I had to resort to insects too, including a dragonfly.

Joy said...

I love the detail of the stamp. Another of my favourite insects to watch.

FinnBadger said...

Lovely stamp. I definitely think dragonflies are underrepresented as stamp subjects.

Heleen said...

Such fine wings, sure make a fine stamp!

viridian said...

I found a lobster stamp!